Welcome to the Department of Mental Health, your comprehensive, statewide public mental health system, serving children, adults, and families in South Carolina since 1828.
Providing community-based services, school mental health services, inpatient stabilization services, crisis response, and more.
Our dedicated staff provide evidence-based practices and culturally competent, high-quality care.
- May is Mental Health Month! Check out our online toolkit to learn more about DMH, mental health issues, and how you can help raise awareness.
- News Release: Levy, Mann appointed to South Carolina Mental Health Commission
- News Release: SCDMH receives grant for innovative suicide prevention training
- No matter how challenging the times, you are not alone in South Carolina. SCDMH and the South Carolina Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services have teamed up to offer a safe, easy and free service that allows you to anonymously take a Self-Check Questionnaire and connect with a professional counselor who can offer guidance, support, and resources to help connect you with mental health and addiction services. We are ready to help if you are overwhelmed by COVID-19 challenges, feeling overly stressed or anxious, coping with a natural disaster, struggling with addiction, feeling depressed and don’t know where to turn. Visit https://hope.connectsyou.org/ to submit a questionnaire today.
- Self-Check Questionnaire Flyer
- Live 5 News (WCSC) coverage 11/18/20: Free online mental health screening tool available to S.C. residents
- Lowcountry Mental Health Conference Speaker Spotlight Series
- Update from the State Director, 7/30/20
- A Statement by the South Carolina Mental Health Commission and the State Director and Senior Management of SCDMH
- News Release: New Toll-Free Number Provides Hope for South Carolinians
- SCDMH Receives Funds to Support 988 Line in SC
If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, contact DMH's Mobile Crisis Team, statewide, toll-free, 24/7. Call 833-364-2274
If it feels like too much to handle, and you need to talk, call 844-SC-HOPES, mental health and addiction support for challenging times.
SC Department of Mental Health Administration Building
2414 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Administration Building Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Due to COVID-19, the building is closed to visitors until further notice.
Closed on State Holidays