Welcome to the South Carolina Department of Mental Health. Our mission is to support the recovery of people with mental illnesses. Through a Statewide network of community mental health centers, clinics, hospitals, and nursing homes the Department’s clinical staff provide a complete array of medical and support services for children, adults, and families throughout South Carolina. We believe that with the right treatment and support, recovery is possible.
To find services for yourself or a loved one, click the Find Help link located at the bottom of every page of this site. If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, contact CCRI.
- 16 community-based outpatient mental health centers;
- Clinics which serve all 46 counties in South Carolina;
- Three licensed hospitals, including one for substance abuse treatment;
- Four nursing homes, including three for veterans;
- A Forensics program; and
- A Sexually Violent Predator Treatment Program.
- DMH provides services to approximately 100,000 patients per year, almost 30,000 of whom are children.
- DMH is one of the largest hospital systems and nursing home bed providers in South Carolina.
- DMH mental health centers operate within federal, state, and community ethical standards.
- DMH provides services regardless of ability to pay.
All DMH facilities are licensed or accredited by applicable accreditation groups.
- All 16 DMH community mental health centers are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), an independent, nonprofit accreditor of health and human services.
- Each of DMH’s psychiatric hospitals is accredited by the Joint Commission, which aims to improve healthcare by evaluating healthcare providers and inspiring them to excel in the provision of safe, effective care of the highest quality and value.
- Morris Village Treatment Center, the Agency’s inpatient drug and alcohol treatment facility, is licensed by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), an independent, nonprofit accreditor of health and human services.
- Each of DMH’s four nursing homes is licensed by the SC DHEC and certified by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.