Resources to Help Cope with Coronavirus
As we each do our part to safeguard the physical health of our families, friends, coworkers, community, and selves, we must also do the same for our mental health. To help, the South Carolina Department of Mental Health (SCDMH) has gathered some tools and resources to help cope with the stress and anxiety during these uncertain times.
Please browse through and share the resources on this page, which include topics from physical distancing and coping strategies to resources for parents and health providers. The resources below have been collected to assist those in need in finding potential emotional support tools at no cost. It is not intended to replace the advice of medical/mental health professionals.
Recorded on 5/15/2020, Twin City News's TCN Around Town podcast -Lexington County Community Mental Health Center's own Gariane Gunter, MD, talks about how to deal with the many feelings and fears that have come with the COVID-19 outbreak and the changes it has brought to our day-to-day way of life. Check it out!
Federation of Families - SC:
Mental Health and COVID 19, AFSP Resource Guide
Mental Health and COVID-19 – Information and Resources
Click here for an extensive guide from Mental Health America of the US that provides a wealth of resources, from general information about physical distancing and coping strategies to resources for parents and mental health providers. This page has something to help each of us!
Managing Stress and Anxiety
- Taking Care of Your Behavioral Health: Tips for social distancing, quarantine, and isolation during an infectious disease outbreak - SAMHSA
- Tips for Disaster Responders: Preventing and Managing Stress
- PBS NewsHour: Mental health expert answers your questions on coping during COVID-19
- Taking care of your mental health in the face of uncertainty, Dr. Doreen Marshall, AFSP Vice President of Programs
- How to prevent loneliness in a time of social distancing, Kasley Killam, Scientific America
- CDC tips for managing anxiety & stress
- OAMHC officials offer stress reduction tips amid coronavirus pandemic,
Published in the Times and Democrat, author
- Mind Matters: Productive Anxiety - By Dr. Greg Smith, Published in the Aiken Standard
- How to #BeTheDifference for People with Mental Health Concerns During COVID-19, Mental Health First Aid USA
- Coping With Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks, SAMHSA
Helping Children Cope
- Cómo cuidar de su salud conductual: CONSEJOS PARA LIDIAR CON MEDIDAS DE PRECAUCIÓN DURANTE UN BROTE DE UNA ENFERMEDAD CONTAGIOSA: DISTANCIAMIENTO SOCIAL, CUARENTENA Y AISLAMIENTO - SAMHSA
- Cómo hablar con los niños: CONSEJOS PARA LOS CUIDADORES, PADRES Y MAESTROS DURANTE UN BROTE DE UNA ENFERMEDAD CONTAGIOSA
- COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) INFORMACION Y RECURSOS - NAMI HelpLine de lunes a viernes entre las 10:00 a.m. y las 6:00 p.m. ET (800) 950-6264 2 Información general sobre COVID-19 Continuamos aprendiendo sobre los efectos del virus COVID-19 y cómo afecta a las personas. www.nami.org
Working from Home
- Working Remotely During COVID-19: Your Mental Health & Well-Being - APA Foundation, Center for Workplace Mental Health
Resources for Clinicians
- Managing mental health during COVID-19, AMA
- Handout - Centering Skills, Dovetail Learning
- Handout - Protective Patterns, Dovetail Learning
- Infographic - Combat Stress with Self-Care, Mindwise Innovations/SCYSPI
Learning self-care and coping techniques can help manage stress and pressure to keep you feeling happy and healthy.
- Infographic - Self-Care Strategies for Resilience, AFSP
July Distance Learning Opportunities
Each month, ETR provides compilations of available Distance Learning Offerings. Be sure to run the power points listed below as a slide show. When you click on the title of the offering it will take you directly to the site. These are excellent ways to obtain continuing education credit and you can take them as your time permits.
- Free Distance Learning Opportunities – continuing education credit offered
- Low-Cost Distance Learning Opportunities
- Free Distance Learning Opportunities (No CEU) – NO continuing education credit offered