The mission of Services to Deaf and Hard of Hearing People within the South Carolina Department of Mental Health is to provide a statewide system of care for the delivery of mental health services which promote recovery and allow enhanced mental functioning for Adults, Children and Families where Deafness presents a significant cultural and/or linguistic barrier.
As a national leader in the mental health service delivery to Deaf and Hard of Hearing people (and their families), SCDMH provides:
- Community-based mental health services to deaf and hard of hearing people who reside in each county of South Carolina.
- Appropriate inpatient services to those deaf or hard of hearing people in need of that level of care, regardless of their age or physical condition.
- Appropriate housing services and supports to individuals who, because of their mental health problems are unable to sufficiently meet their own housing needs.
- Specialized mental health services to deaf children and their families, to enable them to grow and develop into effective and productive adults in society.
- Training and orientation about the impact of deafness to other SCDMH divisions and to law enforcement personnel through training provided by the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI).
- Consultation and support to other states and mental health agencies regarding the development, funding and implementation of appropriate services to this underserved cultural minority.
- Liaison services between the South Carolina Department of Mental Health and deafness-related stakeholder organizations and individuals within South Carolina.
Deaf Services Hotline: 800-647-2066
Information for Patients & Families
Video: Spartanburg Area Mental Health Center Director Roger Williams introduces the new Director of Deaf Services Dara Baril.
DMH is actively seeking to employ ASL fluent mental health clinicians.
If you are interested in working for the South Carolina Department of Mental Health Deaf Services Program please contact:
Dara Baril, State Program Director
SCDMH Deaf Services
2414 Bull Street, PO Box 485
Columbia, SC 29202
Text: (803) 360-7914