How To Apply
Prepare Ahead of Time
Collect details about your education and employment history. The first time you create an application, be ready to spend 30 minutes or more, though you can save your work at any time and return to it later. You will also need an email account. If you do not already have one, free email is available through providers such as www.msn.com, www.yahoo.com, and www.gmail.com.
Log in to the Secure Website: https://careers.sc.gov
- Go to www.careers.sc.gov/. From there, you will click on the “Search Openings” button.
- Search for job postings using the Search Filter, click on Agency, locate Department of Mental Health-Public Safety and click on the box.
- Click on the job title you are interested in. Review the job qualifications. Then click on the green “Apply” button.
- If this is your first online application with us, you will need to set up an account by clicking on “Create Account.
IMPORTANT: Please be sure to write down your Username/Password. You will need this information to log into your account and apply for jobs in the future. If you forget your login information or if there is an issue with logging in, you may have to create a new account.
Please call 855-524-5627 if you have issues with logging into your account.
Completing Your Online Application
- Once you create an account, you will be directed to the online application form.
- You must fill out the work and education history sections of the application in order to be considered for a position. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing these sections. If you still wish to submit a resume, you may attach it to your application.
- When you have completed the application, you will be directed into “Application Process Steps”. You must follow these steps in order to submit your application for a position.
- You will receive an Application Confirmation message when your application is submitted.
Minimum Agency Requirements for Public Safety Officer
- US Citizen
- Age 21 or older
- High School Diploma/GED
- One or more year(s) of Security, Correctional, LEO, MP, Full term military with honorable discharge; or Bachelors/Associate Degree in Criminal Justice
- No Criminal Record
- Must meet the 20/20 vision standards or no more than 20/100 corrected to 20/20
- Must be capable of distinguishing, without corrections three colors: green, yellow and red.
- Official 10 YR DMV Record
- Past employment history must be satisfactory.
- Credit Report must reveal satisfactory, free of defaults, judgments, and multiple derogatory information.
- Psychological, Medical and Drug Screening.
- Ability to meet the required standards for Class 1 LEO (12 weeks training) in accordance with SC Criminal Justice Academy standards.